The chart below lists the twenty-eight defendants in the Tokyo Trial, the counts from the indictment they were charged with and whether they were found guilty, and their sentences.
G – Guilty NG – Not Guilty X-- Not Charged O – Other
Two defendants died during the trial, Yosuke Matsuoka in 1946, and Admiral Osami Nagano in 1947. Shumei Okawa was declared mentally ill and the case against him was dropped. He was sent to a mental hospital and was released in 1948.
Counts of the Indictment
– As leaders, organizers, instigators, or accomplices in the formulation or execution of a common plan or conspiracy to wage declared or undeclared war or wars of aggression, and war or wars in violation of international law
– Waging unprovoked war against China
– Waging aggressive war against the United States
– Waging aggressive war against the British Commonwealth (Crown colonies and protectorates of the United Kingdom in the Far East and South Asia, Australia and New Zealand)
– Waging aggressive war against the Netherlands (Dutch East Indies)
– Waging aggressive war against France (Indochina)
– Waging aggressive war against the USSR
– Ordered, authorized, and permitted inhumane treatment of prisoners of war and others
– Deliberately and recklessly disregarded their duty to take adequate steps to prevent atrocities